Czech Puppets Over the Centuries
From Puppet Production in the Middle Ages to Baroque Marionettes
Czech Country Folk Puppeteers
In the Second Quarter of the 19th Century
The Amateur Puppeteers
The development of permanent puppet venues in the 1920s
From Kašpárek to Spejbl and Hurvínek
The arrival of new development trends in the 1930s
Czech Puppeteers under the Nazi occupation
The Moravian Museum
The Moravian Museum
Second largest and oldest museum in the Czech Republic, was founded in July 1817 by a decree of Emperor Francis I. The museum`s collections include over 6 million objects, representing valuable scientific material from the fields of literature, music and theatre, geology, mineralogy, botany, zoology and entomology.
Besides its scientific and documentary work, the museum organizes temporary exhibitions and lectures. The Children`s Museum, special education and leisure facility, is dedicated to the youngest generation of museum visitors. The Moravian Museum is a contributing organization to The Ministry of culture of CR.
The museum is headed by director Mr. Petr Suler (PhD).
The Moravian Museum has developed a rich tradition in scientific, documentary, and education work. The results of scientific research are published in scientific journals, monographs, exhibition catalogues and other publications. Every year, numerous temporary exhibitions, lectures. concerts and other educational programmes take place.
DEPARTMENT OF THE HISTORY OF THEATRE
- Study, documentation, research and cultural activities in the field of theatre in Moravia
- Collections: stage design, iconography, manuscripts, photographs, audio and video recordings, marionettes, puppets, etc.
- History of Theatre in Moravia, Heads of the team: Mr Jaroslav Blecha, Ms Margita Havlickova
- Library - open to the public on request
- Consultancy services for researchers
- Lectures: Regular lectures on the theory and history of theatre for students of the Faculty of Arts of Masaryk University and Janá?ek Academy of Performing Arts (JAMU) in Brno (Havlickova, Blecha)
- Marionettes from the property of touring theatre troupes
- Puppets and stages from family theatres
- Stage design (drawings and sketches of stage decorations and costumes)